Media

According To A Survey, 44 Per Cent Areas In The City Are Unsafe For Women

videos

Mumbai city which is considered safe for women has come under scrutiny as NGOs Akshara and Safetipin (application) conducted a survey and the results were not very pleasing.

According to the survey, Mumbai is 56 percent safe which makes the remaining 44 percent of areas unsafe. The survey also states that only 22 percent of Mumbai's streets are safe and walkable while 31 percent are adequately lit.

The survey was done on the basis of feedback from people and volunteers who used the app and mostly from G/South and M/Eastward. It was done in a fixed time period from sunset to 10:00 PM every day.

On Friday, Akshara and Safetipin released the Women Safety Audit Report of Mumbai which was conducted under Mobile based Safety Audits to collect data on Women Safety of UN Women.

Vijaya Rahatkar, the chairperson of the Maharashtra State Commission for Women was present at the launch of the report. She promised to ask the police and municipal commissioner of Mumbai and corporators to act on the suggestions.

The report recommended these suggestions

- Brightly lit streets

- Smoother pavements

- No hawkers and encroachments

- CCTV cameras

- Police or private security personnel

- Safer public transport for women

Anju Pandey, programme specialist, Ending Violence Against Women, UN Women told to Hindustan Times Women experience the city differently from men, and the fear of sexual violence in public space has far-reaching effects on their quality of life.

Nandita Shah, co-director of Akshara believes that this app will help government officials and policemen to help citizens based on the feedback given on Safetipin application.